Wednesday, November 11, 2009

MY UNEXPECTED FIRST DAY GOING TO WORK




I have always pushed the wheel in everything I did.  Who ever thought I would literally PUSH THE WHEEL. For years I have job hunted but to no avail.  It is obvious firms are reluctant to hire a 70 year old woman, no matter how qualified.  And, with my experience in business, I felt I deserved a proper salary.



Last week I finally bit the bullet and accepted a job working four hours a day, five days a week.  with salary and commission.  It was to be my first day on the job after being interviewed and tested the day before. I felt uneasy about walking in the dark parking garage of the building that I was to work in. However, I proceeded with caution but missed a step close to a ramp and fell. Bewildered, I could not believe what had happened to me. Fortunately my cell phone was within my reach, and called 911. After ex rays and a thorough examination my ankle was diagnosed with a torn ligament.  I had to stay off my feet for months and try to PUSH THE WHEEL in the wheel chair.


My husband hardly knows his way around the kitchen, but in a pinch he could microwave soup.  Since I had to stay off my feet, it would be his duty to take care of me with the cooking and cleaning.  "What do you want for breakfast?" he asked the second day of the accident." Gee honey, I am in the mood for scrambled eggs." I said. Watching that long look on his face, I felt so sorry for him, "Why don't you want your usual cold cereal?" he cried. "You know, honey, I am just in the mood for eggs" I said as. I lay in bed with my leg elevated feeling so helpless. "Okay" he sighed, "eggs it will be.” Within a few minutes, on a tray, he delivered the best eggs I have ever had.  He chopped onions, green peppers, celery and tomatoes.  It was cooked to perfection and I was amazed.  It was his first attempt in cooking anything. His coffee came out perfect.



The next day my daughter in law's mother called to find out how I felt.  I could tell she was anxious to hear how I was going to manage Thanksgiving dinner in my house, as it was my turn to be hostess.  She felt badly by not offering to help, as her hand was in a cast from a recent surgery. My daughter in law offered, but they have a cat which her mother's friend is allergic.


"Don't worry", I said "I will let Lenny do the cooking. The men will clean up, and my daughter in law will take care of me and her mother,"  "But Lenny does not know how to cook", they said," I will tell him what to do.  It will be fine.  Don’t worry.  This will be a very memorable Thanksgiving."  


Every one is wondering how it will turn out… to be continued after Thanksgiving


Meanwhile how is your Thanksgiving planning going?  Are you looking forward to seeing your friends or relatives?  How do you make your holiday dinners memorable?  Do you have a plan?  Please share


Oh, by the way, did you email me your Halloween pictures yet?
















No comments: